Here are some random thoughts after three weeks of college football play…
- Ever since the Tennessee faithful ran head coach Phillip Fulmer out-of-town in 2009, the Volunteers are 7-33 against ranked opponents following their 26-20 loss to Florida.
- Last year, Clemson won the national championship because they had the best player, Deshaun Watson, and the best offense in the country. This year, they’ll probably reach the college football playoffs because they have the best defense in the country.
- Unless Jim Harbaugh can fix his offense, Michigan not only won’t qualify for the college football playoffs but they won’t play in the Big 10 Championship game either.
- Miami, Ohio head coach Chuck Martin deserves total blame for his team’s 21-17 loss to Cincinnati last Saturday night in what was a clock management disaster that made Andy Reid look like a time management savant.
- Television contracts be damned, it’s time for college football to institute a rule requiring games to start no later than 8 p.m. EST when East Coast teams travel to the West Coast and no earlier than 12 p.m. PST when West Coast teams play on the East Coast.
- The main storyline to come out of the Texas-USC double overtime game isn’t that the Longhorns are getting better sooner rather than later but instead that the Trojans are not the best team in the Pac-10 and certainly not the fifth best team in the country.
- Speaking of Texas, it seems odd why Longhorns head coach Tom Herman didn’t go for two and the chance to win the game in the first overtime against USC.
- Wonder if LSU fans are regretting the coup to remove head coach Les Miles last year now that their current head coach Ed “Sling Blade” Orgeron is 2-13 in SEC road games after being boat raced by Mississippi State last Saturday, 37-7.
- If UK defeats Florida this Saturday for the first time in 32 years, it’s entirely possible the Wildcats game against Georgia later in the year will determine the SEC East Division winner.
- It’s becoming clear that not only will Oklahoma play Oklahoma State in the Big 12 title game but it also will determine who will win the Heisman Trophy–Baker Mayfield or Mason Rudolph.
- After all these years of watching college football, it still doesn’t make any sense that the Air Force Academy has a better ground game than a passing attack.